Search This Blog

Monday, 11 January 2016

Reading Log: I am Malala

I read 'I am Malala' to my class of Year 5 and 6 students in Term 4 and they LOVED it.

Sorry to say Roald Dahl and David Walliams...I tried.  But there was a very clear connect between the students and this book.

I read the Young Readers addition, which used simple language to explain complex and intense political situations.

Students were fascinated by the ideas of not being allowed to go to school...watch TV...go to the supermarket unattended by a male family member and not being allowed to play music in the car!  They had thoughtful reflections and questions about the events that took place and I really enjoyed discussing some of these big themes with them, such as equality of the sexes and perspectives of religion.

I have one muslim student in my class and we would draw connections to mosques, churches, and Marae.  We would talk about terrorism and at one point - our book was read in conjunction with the Paris Bomber reports and what that meant for families like the girl in our class and our views about what her family is like and what she is like.  We talked about extremists and the idea of freedom.  All from 9 and 10 year olds...most achieving below or well below the curriculum in Writing and Reading...in a decile 1a school in East Auckland....

I even got an email from the most introverted student in my class late one night saying, "Miss!  Did you know they're making a movie of Malala's life?!  Isn't that so cool!?"  That may have been a career highlight.  That one young female student in my class was inspired by Malala's struggles for equal education for girls around the world.

Of course, being shot in the head and surviving engaged my most 'creative' boys, who listened in awe of each surgical procedure and what that meant for Malala in her recovery.

They youtube'd speeches, shared Ellen's interview and watched the movie trailer over and over again.

I will definitely read this book again and of course - we send Malala our support.  From a class of 24 at Tamaki Primary School in Auckland New Zealand.  Kia Kaha, Kia Maia, Kia Manawanui.

Malala Yousafzai - inspired students in my class to think about deeper world wide issues with her book - I am Malala.


1 comment:

  1. best pocket microscope is an online store selling fine optics; watches, electronics, radio controlled clocks and jewelry. We have been in operations since 1974. Currently, we only carry a few carefully selected merchandise that our customers have selected as their favorites. However, we are constantly searching the world to locate innovative merchandise.

    Please stay tuned by joining our list to receive special offers; and learn about our latest exciting new products. Your privacy is very important to us; we will not share your information with any third party. Shop with confidence; our site is SSL encrypted for the security of your personal information.

    ReplyDelete