Search This Blog

Friday, 3 March 2017

Introducing my Community of Learning Inquiry

This year as part of my role as a CoL lead teacher within my school, was to identify an inquiry that aimed to address the needs of the school I am working within and the community of schools that I am working within, and of course the class of 29 learners I am working within.

The story of how my inquiry came to be spans about 8 years - but I don't have time for that, but basically, I completed a Grad Dip Tessol - which got me interested in language acquisition.  Then I took part in the Manaiakalani Innovative Teachers programme - all of which has been recorded on this blog - which got me thinking - I should probably learn a second language myself to see what it's like to be asked to write, read, speak and be assessed in a language I am not confident in...Which lead me to taking a year off, with thanks to TeachNZ to enrol at Te Waananga Takiura o ngā Kura Kaupapa Māori o Aotearoa...which lead me to develop a lot of knowledge of te ao Māori...which upon my return, I realised is a bigger challenge to embed in the mainstream schooling system than I thought...which then sent me into a bit of a spiral of depression...but I was pulled out by friends and family who said if anyone could do it, I could...which made me think of it from a different angle...in which I latched onto the SOLO taxonomy and literacy across the curriculum...which lead me here.

TL:DR - I had life experiences that shaped my world view and challenged my priorities, which lead me here.

I have a class of 29 Māori students.  Year 7&8 - they are ALL my priority learners.  I have students well below, below, at and above the National Standard across Reading, Writing and Maths.  My inquiry will address all the learners in my class.


This was the slide I presented at our most recent CoL meeting, introducing my inquiry in response to the Woolf Fisher research, school data, and my own interests and observations of the learners in my class over the last 5 weeks.  It was however, these posters from the Pam Hook 'Hooked' website, which really ignited my ideas:


So I started to refine the main drivers that lead me to choosing this inquiry was, and what I hope this achieves:

  • The need for greater shifts in students in Years 7-10
  • To hopefully ease some of the transition to our local college as they use SOLO and NCEA is built around SOLO.
  • To use the new reo and knowledge I had gained.
  • To strengthen partnerships with our Māori families and in turn, have more meaningful learning conversations with them.
  • To pass of the gift of te ao Māori to the tamariki in my class.
  • To encourage students to think metacognitively about their own learning and in turn develop greater agency over it.
  • To deepen my own planning - in decision making about texts, the types of questions I ask and the 'create' tasks that would occur in response to the 'learn' and the types of reflections students would write in response to the 'share.'
  • To accelerate achievement for the 29 Māori students in my class by the end of the year.
So...
How might the use of the SOLO taxonomy and increased knowledge and inclusion of te ao Māori promote higher order thinking, cognitive engagement, and acceleration of student outcomes for Māori students in Years 7-8? (And, ease the transition to Year 9?)

I was so happy that this area of interest met one of the overarching CoL goals to:

Raise Māori student achievement through the development of cultural visibility and responsive practices across the pathway as measured against National Standards and agreed targets for reading Years 1-10 and NCEA years 11-13.

Although I am going to try and do this across the curriculum - not just reading, it will be easy for me to extract data for reading.

So we'll see what the year brings!  Nā reira, nau mai, haere mai ki tōku huarahi ki te tihi o tēnei maunga teitei! 

3 comments:

  1. If you have a minute, I’d really appreciate it if you took a look at Emily’s Virtual Rocket. This is a serious newsblog which has been taken from e-newspapers and e-magazines from around the world, with an emphasis on transgender issues. Also, with his election, I look for articles which critique Donald Trump.

    I hope you enjoy this. Please paste the following:

    Emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    If you like it, please consider putting it among your favorite blogs. I would greatly appreciate it.


    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. các vết sạm da mặt trên mặt có nhiều chức năng là bởi sạm da. sạm da mặt được biết đến là sự biến đổi màu da thông thường, có màu nâu, đen hay xám xanh xám vì sự sản xuất quá phổ biến sắc tố trên da.

    Nám da thông thường là đến sau cùng của thông tin phơi nắng và các biến đổi hormone ở chị em vì progesterone và estrogen.

    đốm nâu thường được gọi là "Hỗn hợp đắp mặt chửa nghén" bởi bởi một số mảng tối của nó - thường sinh ra trên mũi, xương gò má và hàm - thậm chí còn tăng mạnh hơn trong khi nữ giới ao ước. Nhưng điều đó không có nghĩa là phái yếu chào đón sự phổ biến của một vài điểm xấu hổ với cùng một loại thỏa lòng khi họ khiến con mình.

    đề phòng đốm nâu là chiến lược tốt nhất

    đề phòng tăng sắc tố là Cách trị nám hiệu quả nhất? vì không có cách thức tiêu diệt melasma mang tới cuối cùng lâu dài, thành ra một vài thầy thuốc khuyên nhủ nên duy trì liệu pháp Ngăn ngừa một số hắc tố melasma. một vài chiến thuật thường cũng có thể giúp phòng ngừa mảng tối màu như:

    tiến hàng kem chống nắng hằng ngày. bởi ánh sáng mặt trời là một trong những yếu tố đi đến mụn trứng cá cao nhất, nội dụng quyết định kem chống nắng mỗi ngày chẳng thể thương lượng để giữ cho da bị khô. Chọn kem chống nắng có bảo vệ rộng với SPF từ 30 trở lên.

    Nón song song với trời. Mũ rộng rãi khiến giữ một vài phần dễ bị tổn hại trên mặt. Tìm kiếm bóng râm khác cứ khi nào song song với trời, là hiệu quả.

    Chăm sóc da nhẹ nhàng. bởi một vài sản phẩm gây kích ứng da sẽ làm trầm trọng thêm mức độ da bị sưng tấy, hãy chọn lựa một số sản phẩm nhẹ nhàng không bị đốt hoặc đốt.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyla
    We need to catch up so I can see what I can include in my planning for my senior classes for them to feel the benefit of all this lovely research. Can I please organise to come and visit you and pick your brains?
    Karen xx

    ReplyDelete